In 1942, the last classes were held
in the schoolhouse, but it continued to serve as the community center. In 1956 the BCSH was sold
to the Cameron Community Club (CCC) - which became a 501(C)(3) non-profit organization in 2009. The
goal of the CCC was to take active ownership of the building and administer its use and upkeep.
Restoration and upkeep began in earnest at that time (see Restoration).
Neighborhood activities include an annual Christmas Party, March Cabin Fever Pinochle
Parties and Country Dances. The building is also used by members of the community for other club
meetings, art workshops, private parties and weddings. From time to time the schoolhouse is also
as the site of ad-hoc community meetings about wildlife management and land-use proposals.
As the economy of SW Montana develops and the population of Madison County grows, the
role of the Bear Creek School House and the Cameron Community Club will be more vital than ever.
As a very desirable area, we are welcoming new neighbors, as well as many friends from the whole valley.
The Bear Creek School House and the Cameron Community Club provide the thread of
continuity with the past, carrying on the tradition of neighborliness. Activities at the schoolhouse
bring people together, allowing them to get to know each other and supporting a sense of community.
The associations made here help neighbors to craft a common vision for the future.
The BCSH is on the Montana National Register of Historic Places. For a more detailed
description of the BCSH history and its relationship to the Cameron Community Club click
HERE. When finished with the
Register document, just exit it and you will return to this history page.